Seven men have been deported to Egypt on 05 March 2019, including six Egyptians and one Tunisian citizen. Four of the Egyptians have been identified and Human Rights Monitor has been following the situation with them since then.
Those identified are:
1- Mr. Mohamed Abdel Aziz Fathy Eid
2- Mr. Abdullah Mohamed Hesham Mostafa
3- Mr. Abdelrhman Abdel Aziz Ahmed Mostafa
4- Azmi El-Sayed Mohamed Ibrahim
Their families have confirmed that the arrest campaign started on 2 February by police forces dressed in uniform, holding rifles, without informing them of any the reasons for their arrest. The victims were taken to Bukit Aman in KL. They remained incommunicado detention for 28 days. However, their families do not know when they were taken to the immigration office in Putrajaya.
Mr. Abdullah’s wife was informed that her husband was arrested on the grounds of security charges offenses act under code 747 in Malaysia, however; during the 28 days none of the victims’ families or lawyers were able to contact them or visit them. Therefore, there is no information on what they have been investigated about during this time and what the charges were.
The families found out about their deportation from the media. Mr. Mahmoud’s wife said the decision was made on 5 February 2019 and the deportation was to be carried out on the same date; however, she is not sure of the exact date of their deportation.
Mrs. Jodi, the wife of Mr. Abdullah took a flight to Bangkok and remained there for a week trying to find out whether her husband and the group have been deported or not. The Thai authorities did not reveal any information to her or provide them with the right to refugee as they had done recently in the case of a Saudi girl.
The Malaysian authorities confirm that the number of those deported is seven men (6 Egyptians and one Tunisian). Until this moment, no one is aware of the names or identity of the sixth Egyptian and the Tunisian.
Police said on Sunday that they had arrested and deported the seven men, including two men each from Egypt and Tunisia, accused of links to Ansar Al-Sharia Al-Tunisia, a North African-based organisation listed as a terrorist group.
The police chief stated that the Egyptians have confessed to being supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood, despite the fact that Malaysia has not designated the Muslim Brotherhood as a terrorist organisation and neither does it regard it as so. He also accused them of violating the law in Malaysia but the question remains; had the Egyptians, believed to have committed serious offenses on Malaysian soil, were not charged formally in court. Surely, offenses committed in Malaysia must be tried in Malaysia, and not in Egypt. They should have been given the opportunity to defend themselves in court
Instead, the IGP has made serious allegations against them through a press statement without affording them an opportunity to answer.
These remain unproven allegations supported by no evidence.
Throughout their arrest and detention in Malaysia, their families, and lawyers were kept in the dark as to their situation. They had no opportunity to meet lawyers, give instructions or make the necessary representations to the courts there. This is a denial of due process.
Since the men's deportation to Egypt on March 5, their families have been unable to locate them or obtain any information on their whereabouts from the Egyptian authorities.
They were to have arrived in Cairo on an Egypt Air flight from Bangkok, in the early hours of March 6, but in response to inquiries by family members, the Egyptian authorities in Cairo claim not to know where they (the six men) are. They have effectively disappeared into thin air.
PKR Chief Anwar Ibrahim accused the police of rushing into the deportation of seven foreigners accused of links to a terrorist group, saying there had been no consultation with Putrajaya before the decision was made to send them back to Egypt and Tunisia. He found out through his checks that the police deported the men without consulting relevant ministers or Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad.
The move to deport the foreigners contrasts with the authorities’ decision to drop immigration-related charges against 11 Uighur men who entered Malaysia after escaping jail in Thailand.
Human Rights Monitor holds both the Malaysian authorities and the Egyptian authorities responsible for the life and well being of the men who have been deported to Egypt. It also demands the Egyptian authorities to reveal their fate and their whereabouts immediately and to stop any act of torture with the aim of using confessions made under torture in courts which would result in executing them as they are considered to be from the opposition.